Stora Enso Renewable Packaging

Imatra mills

1/29/2015 6:00 PM

Constructing Kaukopää

​In 1934, Enso Gutzeit decided to build a sulphate pulp mill near the Enso mill along the banks of Lake Saimaa, within the vicinity of the Vuoksi River.
The planning and construction of Kaukopää took place at breakneck speed. May 1934 can be considered the official starting point for the worksite when, just after May Day, lorry driver Jussi Inkinen brought the workers a truckload of spades from the company’s warehouse. An entire train and the required rails, engine and sand trucks as well as ‘Mad John’, a high-power, steam-operated digger, were loaded onto barges at Vuoksenniska Harbour. A tugboat transported the barges along the banks of Lake Saimaa to Kaukopää’s cove. The worksite now had powerful machines to help the spade-wielding workers.
A stream of construction materials and workers flowed onto the site. Altogether 3 million bricks, thousands of train-loads of cement, 10 million kilograms of construction iron and 100 000 kilograms of nails were needed to erect the most impressive industrial plant of its time. Altogether some two thousand men and women helped build Kaukopää.
The goal laid down in the mill’s production calculation was to create a plant that would achieve a simply mind-boggling production volume considering the conditions of its day: 80 000 tonnes of strong sulphate pulp when the usual figures achieved by similar mills equalled just 10 000–15 000 tonnes annually. In September 1935, just 13 months after construction commenced, in the wee hours of the 25th, Kaukopää’s first batch of dry pulp came off the Milton machine. And so begins the story of Imatra Mills.